- About Us
Middle School News
MRH Appoints New Athletic Director and HS Football Coach
The Maplewood Richmond Heights School District is pleased to announce the appointment of Rich Nixon as the new High School athletic director, football coach and Middle School physical education teacher. Nixon, currently at Hazelwood Central High School, will begin is duties at MRH on July 1, 2012.
“We are thrilled to have been able to bring Rich to MRH,” said Superintendent Linda Henke. “He will be a stellar addition to our teaching staff, an amazing coach, and great leader for our sports program.”
Since 2005 Nixon has served as a physical education instructor at Hazelwood Central High School. While there he also served as its head football coach (2007-2010) and its assistant football coach (2005-2006). The Hazelwood Central football program is the second largest program in the state of Missouri and won the Missouri Class 6 State Championship in 2008 and 2009 under Coach Nixon.
“I am so happy to have the opportunity to join the Maplewood Richmond Heights School District,” said Nixon. “It's truly an honor to work for a district so committed its students, families, and community.”
Prior to Hazelwood Central High School, Nixon served as assistant head football coach and social studies instructor at other schools including Riverview Gardens High School (2004-2005) and Poplar Bluff High School (2002-2004). Additionally he was the assistant football coach at Central Missouri State University from 2000-2002.
Among Coach Nixon’s many awards and honors:
• Hazelwood Central High School Class 6 State Football Champions (2008, 2009)
• St. Louis Post-Dispatch Missouri Coach of the Year (2008)
• Missouri State Coaches Association Coach of the Year (2008, 2009)
• St. Louis Rams/U.S. Army Missouri Coach of the Year (2008)
• St. Louis Metro Coaches Association Coach of the Year (2008)
• Missouri State Associated Press Coach of the Year (2008, 2009)
• National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame Coach of the Year (2009)
• Missouri Athletic Club Coach of the Year (2010)
Nixon holds a B.S. in education with a major in social studies and minors in secondary education and physical education from Central Methodist University. Additionally, he holds a Masters degree in educational administration from Lindenwood University.
“MRH has an outstanding record of academic excellence and a growing sports program with unlimited opportunities,” said Nixon. “I look forward to being a part of the MRH family.”
For more information, contact MRH School District at (314) 644-4400.